Power Play Rule
The Football Association introduced the Power Play rule in the 2018 - 2019 football season, for mini soccer and youth grassroots football teams. The purpose of the Power Play rule is to ensure that mini soccer and youth matches remain competitive and fun, in situations where there is an imbalance in ability.
Power Play works as follows:
- If a team is losing by a four goal difference they can put an additional player on – so 5v5 becomes 6v5.
- If the score returns to less than a four goal difference the team takes off a player. It does not have to be the last player to come on.
- If a team goes on to be losing by a six goal difference a further additional player can be added - so 6v5 becomes 7v5.
- The main aim of the Power Play option is that all players are being challenged and enjoying the game.
- Power Play is available through all minisoccer football formats 5v5 and 7v7.